I should move this over to the new site.
1. The Wrestler
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
4. Waltz with Bashir – the best “new” movie I have to add to this. It combines a very moving story with a striking visual presentation. Quite masterful.
5. In Bruges – This is a very funny crime movie, in the vein of Pulp Fiction. The plot twists in a surprising manner and avoids the cliches of such writing. It’s also just a lot of fun.
6. The Dark Knight
7. Tropic Thunder
8. Revolutionary Road
10. Slumdog Millionaire – I decided to move Slumdog down some, as I just don’t think it stacks up to Frost/Nixon or Revolutionary Road. Still a very good movie.
11. Burn After Reading
12. Rachel Getting Married – An emotional roller coast, Rachel Getting Married is a rare movie that can move quickly and flawlessly between being humorous and upsetting and handle both emotions well.
15. Vicky Cristina Barcelona
16. Iron Man
17. The Visitor
18. Changeling – A very good movie, but I don’t see how this showed off Angelina Jolie’s acting chops.
19. The Reader – Solid, but I felt like it made a few jumps in the narrative that were too disruptive.
20. Frozen River – A touching movie about an unlikely friendship between a white and a Native American in modern day, rural New York who get involved in smuggling. Melissa Leo does a great job in portraying her character’s exhaustion and optimism.
Coming to a DVD player near me soon: Happy-Go-Lucky, Revanche, The Class, Man on Wire, The Betrayal, Encounters at the End of the World, The Garden, Trouble the Water
I’ve also watched: Sunshine Cleaning, Quantum of Solace, Be Kind Rewind, Bolt, Get Smart, Kung Fu Panda, Pineapple Express, Semi-Pro, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull